Saturday, March 28, 2015

Bringing Liberty Call into the 21st Century

Liberty Call was built in 1973. That makes her 42 years old as of this writing. Her age has never really bothered me and I didn't really think a lot about that until the recent battery incident when I got up close and personal with some 40 year old wiring. It was at this point I started to see her in a new light. She needs some upgrades!

I've already started electrically. All interior lights and running lights have been converted to LED. The steaming light, spreader lights and the Tricolor/Strobe/Anchor light at the top of the mast are still old style filaments and it really shows with the new battery charger. Example:


Charger remote displaying EVERY interior light on as well as my two Caframo fans running at High Speed.
Just the Steaming light, spreaders and tricolor light are on.
The energy savings are really incredible. Once I am able to replace the remaining lights with LEDs, my two new house batteries should last nearly ten years. Plus having a digital smart charger will ensure that the batteries remain at their most optimum state.

No comments:

Post a Comment