Friday, December 26, 2014

Sailing into the Future

or Deciding what to do with a 40 year old engine...

For a while now, I have been considering replacing my old Universal Atomic 4 in my boat with a new diesel. Its cantankerous, smelly, and the damn exhaust riser seeps more exhaust into the engine compartment than through the actual exhaust system... plus its a gasoline A4, so I have to constantly be mindful of keeping the engine compartment ventilated to prevent gas fume buildup. Its a great engine when it works, but it and Murphy are best pals apparently.
Of course, an engine repower is a very expensive undertaking, so I like to take my time and research all my options whenever a purchase will make my wallet scream. During my search for a new engine which included Yanmar, Volvo, Betamarine, and a couple of others, I stumbled upon several blogs of sailors who have converted to electrical propulsion. Now being a former Navy Electrician before I was commissioned, that intrigued me greatly so I started to investigate that as an option.  As I read more and more into this new possibility, I also started to look at Solar and Wind power generation for not my house bank, but also a theoretical 48V propulsion bank for an electrical engine.
So with all that said, I'm sure that you can guess my state of mind now. I have decided to take the plunge and go with an electrical propulsion system. I have seen several that have peaked my interest and I will be researching them further. It will be an interesting undertaking to say the least.

I've added several links that I read that lead to community portals as well as individual blogs detailing their experiences with Electric Propulsion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment