Thursday, May 28, 2015

Electrical Connections pt2

I've mentioned in a couple of posts that I want to upgrade the electrical systems on board Liberty Call. Its been a slow process, but its starting to taking shape. I've installed a new House Bank, new Battery charger, and just last month I installed Solar panels - 2 100 watt panels with a Blue Sea Systems MPPT Controller. (There are two styles of controller MPPT and PWM. MPPT controllers are a bit more pricey than PWM controllers, but they are more feature rich and boast up to 30% better charging than the older PWM style.)


Here it is installed.

The display is currently showing the amount of amps being sent out to the batteries by the panels.
You'll notice that the Aux Out light as well as the Float light are lit. This indicates that the batteries
are full and all power being produced by the panels is being used by the fans and lights on the boat.
FREE Energy! cool :)

I decided to install it underneath the Nav table as it does generate a bit of heat when its cranking out a lot of amps to the batteries. Its working so well with my solar panels that I can turn off my battery charger during the day and the batteries are still topped off by the time the sun sets that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment