Sunday, May 24, 2015

Happy Memorial Day

I've always enjoyed what the Navy did on special holidays like Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. Its a tradition known as Full Dress Ship. It involves using every single code flag a ship has and constructing a "Rainbow of Colors" that is flown from the bow to the stern draping the whole ship in a parade of colorful flags. It always looks really sharp and when the whole fleet is in port, it is really something to behold. A lot of yacht clubs and individual sailors also perform Full Dress Ship for these holidays and other special events and its just as pretty.

Last night I downloaded the NTP13b, the Navy's Flags, Pennants and Customs procedures manual and followed the code flags as best I could (The Navy uses some flags that normal sailors dont have access to, nor need). Here's the result. I did add a Pirate flag. Why not? I'm former Navy, I could consider myself a Privateer of some sort... ;)




I hope on this Memorial Day weekend, we all take a moment to remember those that did not return home to celebrate this special day. May we always remember the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen that gave their lives so that we as Americans can still live free.

No comments:

Post a Comment